Healthy sleep habits can make a big difference to your overall quality of life.
Having healthy sleep habits is often referred to as having good “Sleep Hygiene”.
Sleep is a necessary ingredient for health. So sleep well!
A recent study on sleep habits identified that Australians have a big habit of sleep deprivation.
Healthy sleep habits can make a big difference to your quality of life and relationships.
It will also significantly effect you daily ability to perform, especially at work.
Insufficient sleep has been implicated in everything from cardiovascular disease to obesity to impaired immune response.
It can also create stress, disrupt relationships and make a person more accident prone.
“What is the best position to sleep?”
This is one of the most common questions that I hear as a chiropractor.
Optimally, it is most beneficial for the correct spinal maintenance to sleep flat on your back, with a contour pillow supporting the cervical spine.
At Discover Chiropractic Ballina and Discover Chiropractic Byron Bay, we recommend and stock Naturelle Luxurious Pillows to support your spine optimally while sleeping on your back.
However, these latex pillows are also excellent for our patients who sleep on there side. Side posture sleeping is appropriate for those patients with low back pain who find lying flat uncomfortable.
Sleeping on your stomach is one of the most detrimental postures that you can sleep in for your neck.
6 Great tips to help you sleep well
- Exercise regularly. Exercising in the morning is best, but if you must exercise in the evening, do so at least two or three hours before bedtime. Any later, and your increased heart rate can interfere with your sleep.
- Limit your intake of caffeinated beverages such as coffee, colas and tea—try to avoid them altogether late in the day and near bedtime. In addition, for each cup of caffeinated beverages you drink each day, drink an equal amount of water.
- If you have trouble sleeping and then get thirsty, drink tap water at room temperature (cold water may disturb the digestive system).
- Eat an early dinner. Eating after 6 p.m. may interfere with sleep as your body works to digest the food you’ve eaten.
- Go to bed at the same time each night and get up at the same time each morning. The routine will help your body know when it is time to rest.
- Keep your bedroom at a cool, comfortable temperature and try to make it as dark as possible when you’re ready for bed.
Chiropractic Care Can Help You Sleep Well
If you continue to experience pain and discomfort at night or have difficulty falling asleep, cal the team at Discover Chiropractic Ballina or Discover Chiropractic Byron Bay.
Your chiropractor is trained to treat spinal problems that can interfere with a restful night’s sleep.
Chiropractic can provide patients with a different approach to their sleeping problems— without the use of sleeping pills, which leave many people in a mental haze the next morning.